Saturday 5 March 2011

The Adjustment Bureau (2011)






Running Time: 106 Minutes
Directed By:
George Nolfi
Starring: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Anthony Mackie, John Slattery, Terence Stamp, Michael Kelly
Screenplay: George Nolfi
UK Release Date: 4th March 2011

Quick Plot: David Norris is a determined politician who falls in love with the gorgeous ballet dancer Elise. But they were only meant to meet once, never to see each other again but after chance lets them, The Adjustment Bureau have to let David know the truth. If he stays with Elise, both their lives will have terrible consequences but David isn't going to let her get away that easy. Based on the short story by Philip K. Dick.

Review: I'm embarrassed, that was the worst plot summary of a film ever; some of it doesn't make sense and it looks like a complete different story than what is actually is. The same goes for the trailer and some of the advertisement posters too. I have to agree with Claudia Winkleman and Danny Leigh from Film 2011 on this one, because the posters I've seen around town are terrible for this film! Not only does Emily Blunt not wear that silk red dress, but the film is absolutely nothing like Inception or The Bourne films! Ok, they are similar to two ways, Inception and this both have a sense of Sci-fi, something different than the norm. And Bourne and The Adjustment Bureau both have Matt Damon in.
The Adjustment Bureau had an original release date of Autumn 2010, but then got held back a few months and even with my my excitement high, it was still the amazing film I wanted it to be. I think the reason I knew I'd like this film so much was because the whole concept of the film is around true love. Call me stupid and naive, I know it's not a full blown romantic film, but David and Elise's love story was perfect and so real (other than the fact they were being chased by 'angels ((they aren't angels)) in suits). Ok I'll stop with the brackets, that's getting confusing. Speaking of the men in suits and hats, again agreeing with Film 2011, that oart of the film really worked. Well everything worked well I guess, the whole story is extremely clever and enthralling- everything about it grabbed me in. Maybe I'm biased because I wanted to see this ever since I saw the first teaser but I do honestly think this film is really incredible. The story is continually moving and even though I've already said this, the love story makes it so much different. You really want David Elise to get together and live happily ever after because they both deserve it and they are both lovable characters.
Matt Damon was fantastic as always, Emily Blunt was great and their chemistry together was believable and real. I know I haven't seen that many films so far this year and it's only March, but they shared one of my favourite kisses so far this year, I thought the whole romantic part of the film was just perfect. I need to stop using the word perfect....The Sci-fi element was great along with the kind of, dramatic side with David Norris. I think a bonus for me could have been the shots of New York and the skyline, they were beautiful.
All round, a fantastic, atypical, lovable film and I think anyone will like it. Don't watch it if you're not up to following along the storyline though, you'll get bored easily.

To the left is my favourite advertising poster for The Adjustment Bureau  (shame I haven't seen any in person yet, I think they are more in the US and on the tubes :( )




and below is the trailer for The Adjustment Bureau.
After seeing the film, I think it makes the film look different to what it actual is, but the music behind the trailer still gives me goosebumps which evidently made me download it.





The Adjustment Bureau trailer

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. This movie was fantastic for two reasons. 1) I had just watched hereafter - gave me a whole new appreciation for Matt Damon. 2) the theory behind free-will was great, i love it when our destiny and/or fate is questioned, or just the freedom of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it!
    I thought it was unique with the theory behind free will and it really made you think

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...