Saturday 2 April 2011

Source Code (2011)






Running Time: 93 Minutes
Directed By:
Duncan Jones
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga, Jeffery Wright
Screenplay: Ben Ripley
UK Release Date: 1st April 2011

Quick Plot: Colter Stevens is in a new, special, secret technology which puts him into someones mind and body for the last 8 minutes of their life. With this technology, Stevens is ordered to find out where a bomb and who the bomber is on a train on it's way to Chicago to save the next bomb attack due later on that day.

Review:  Unlike most films, when I first saw the trailer for Source Code I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen but I was very much mistaken. So, by all means, everyone who is reading this right now, make sure you watch the trailer below at some point, because I don't think it spoils anything big.
I knew I had to see this film the moment I knew about it's existence for three reasons. 1) It's the second film from director Duncan Jones. 2) The trailer presented the film as the type of fast action, Sci-Fi, confusing but fantastic storyline that I adore. 3) Jake Gyllenhaal stars. (Biased because of his beauty but husshhh)
I've got to give my cousin a bit of credit here because he introduced me to Duncan Jones' first film Moon, (because my cousin is a fan of David Bowie and Duncan is David's son if no one knew that) and I thought Moon was incredible. One of the greatest Sci-Fi films of the previous decade in my eyes and everything about it was brilliant. If I start explaining the plot of Moon it gives away spoilers so the best thing for any of you to do now, if you haven't seen it, is to rent or buy it and watch it NOW.
Like I do with most films, I had high expectations that Source Code would be great but it was better than great as you can see from my 5 star rating and I'll tell you exactly why.
The storyline is completely brilliant, fast and exhilarating. As you read above, the film is 93 minutes long and that is with the 3-4 minutes credits at the end. The film is so quick, so so so quick yet it's not as confusing as Inception apparently was. I think Science-Fiction nowadays has a tendency to let it's self down with the ridiculous story lines or stupid mise-en-scene (my media skills are improving) like the props or the weapons. This is such a clean Sci-Fi thriller that hooks you onto every end of every detail.
 Like Moon, I really cannot say that much about the storyline because I don't want to give anything away, but Source Code reminded me very much of Moon. I didn't expect to be emotionally connected with Sam Rockwell's character of Sam Bell in Moon yet, I was because the character had an emotional connection with the audience and Source Code has the exact same connection.
There are not any big 'twists' but there are definitely some turns which move the film on differently to how I expected it to.
 Jake Gyllenhaal is always, in my eyes, fantastic and in Source Code he is no different. The first scene, Colter Stevens is suddenly on this train, with no idea where he's going or why he's there, no idea who the stunning girl talking to him is, then after he enters the 'Source Code', he still is bewildered and confused. Gyllenhaal is brilliant portraying this, you get emotional for him and his character is very interesting. The other cast members are great too, especially Vera Farmiga as Captain Goodwin.
 The editing of this film was stunning and the score/soundtrack was just as stunning and everything just worked so well together and I could honestly watch this film another 10 times. Even though I saw a lot of Oscar nominated films earlier on in the year, I still think Source Code is one of the best ones so far.
I don't want to spoil it too much because that's all I seem to do and this review is completely awful because of the fact I don't want to spoil the film
Simply, everyone should see this film. If you are having a trip to the cinema anytime in the next two weeks, make Source Code your priority.
(But, if you're anything like a pair of teenage girls who were in the same screen as me, when they were in the toilets after, piling on vast amounts of make up, one explained to the other that Source Code was 'Alright, a bit too confusing' and they didn't like the 'sciencey, explosions and action' then no you will not like this film because that is exactly what the film is about. Just watch the trailer below)

Source Code official trailer
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. wow this movie's gotta be great since everyone is recommending it but now I know that it is good just for this post! Thank you Nadine for always posting this incredible reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It honestly was such an excellent, brilliant, fun film. You MUST see it :D
    Thank you so much you are so kind

    ReplyDelete
  3. This film had a great ending, made the whole film for me, the only part i dont like about films now a days, is they think the general audience is a bunch of idiots with a short attention span - so they re-show moments like we missed it the first time, anyways it was a great film not memento great, but a great attempt

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...