Wednesday 18 May 2011

Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)






Running Time: 136 mins
Directed By: Rob Marshall
Starring: Johnny Depp, Penélope Cruz, Ian McShane, Geoffrey Rush, Richard Griffiths, Keith Richards, Astrid Berges-Frisbey
Screenplay: Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio
UK Release Date: Official release date is 20th May 2011 worldwide. 18th May for the UK

Quick Plot: Captain Jack Sparrow is back in the 4th instalment of the Pirates Of The Caribbean, on a new quest to find the fountain of youth. Embarking on his adventure he bumps into old love Angelica, and takes voyage on her ship who's owner is none other than Captain Blackbeard.

Review: This Summer is sadly one filled with sequels, prequels 3rds, 4ths, 5ths and most probably 6ths. Not all unneeded but the majority are. On Strangers Tides I believe is one of these unneeded films and I already had that impression before I was able to witness it. Of course Jack Sparrow is one of the most iconic characters of the 21st century with his dashing looks, selfish ways, not exactly incredible pirate skills and funny individuality and Johnny Depp again aces Sparrow perfectly. Loosing out on Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom as part of the team at first didn't bother me much as I thought they got a bit dated within At World's End (3rd), but after watching this I wished they were back and I wished the adventure still centred round the Black Pearl. Personally, my favourite of the franchise is The Curse Of The Black Pearl, after which I think they deteriorate chronologically but On Strangers Tides definitely, in my case anyway, starts to move back upwards to, maybe say, Dead Man's Chest.
Don't get me wrong at all, it's not a terrible film. It's certainly going to make the money over the Summer and will no doubt break records or something of the sort. Any fan of the previous films will enjoy it. There's the action sequences, Jack Sparrow's quirky lines and of course the great, conventional Pirates. I just found it a little too long and too..same old same old. Which you could argue is a good thing for the series, continuity is obviously needed or it wouldn't make sense. But can't Jack Sparrow do anything other than get into trouble yet somehow in the end resolving everything while making everyone laugh?
Now the comedy element of the Pirate films was funnier in this film than the previous 2. A line I saw/heard from the trailer about names and fingers tickled me, I found it joyful and entertaining.
Probably the thing that made me kind of dislike this was the ever too long beginning. Thor has a long introduction that works perfectly but being the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean film, we didn't need an long, predictable action sequence between Jack Sparrow and some high up people. It's been seen before. The film would have been a lot better with half an hour less and to get right into the plot line because that was quite enjoyable.
I haven't seen many Penélope Cruz films but know enough about her to know that she is drop dead gorgeous! She plays an untypical damsel Angelica, she can fight, use a sword and knows her way round a ship. Having only seen about 2 or 3 of her films I can confidently say she was great, maybe not fantastic but certainly one of the best roles of the film. Johnny Depp as I've already said is matchless to his previous portrayals of Jack Sparrow. Geoffry Rush who I have come to admire much more since his fantastic role as Linoel Logue in The King's Speech was fantastic as his iconic character Captain Barbossa. But it's the young actors who played Syrena and Phillip who I adored throughout the film. Astrid Berges-Frisbey and Sam Claflin I am positive will go onto more greater things in the near future (Claflin in actual fact having the role of the Prince in Snow White and the Huntsman due for release next year). Because of their plot line, characters and just themselves they were the biggest part of the reason why I enjoyed this film enough to rate it 3/5.
I'm not a fan of swimming, but I've always wanted to be mermaid because they seem so flawless and beautiful. As I've grown up I've realised not all mermaids are nice, even the ones in this film but the one mermaid you come to learn about is lovely, pretty and a good element to the film. Now with William Turner and Elizabeth Swann gone, I'm very happy that Rob Marshall and the rest of the POTC crew kept to a romantic storyline although it was only very minor. Syrena and Phillip have such a beautiful love and even if it was predictable (in a good way) it worked and made me like the film. Jack Sparrow's love interest with Angelica is kind of cute, very Jack Sparrowish and funny but nothing like Syrena and Phillip. I can't give away too much neither can I explain it without telling the whole plot, but if you have do happen to see the film you'll know exactly what I mean.

To put it simply; if you're a fan of the previous films, and by that I mean have watched them more than once and don't find either one of them too long, you will enjoy this new adventure.( I think it's better than At World's End) But be aware it is long and for me the story didn't get going until you meet the mermaids then the film picks up a little bit of pace and it becomes more exciting. But don't be disappointed if you don't feel satisfied after seeing this- Pirates 5 has already been rumoured and is probably in development as we speak! Yes that was sarcasm. I'm sure there will be plenty more disappointing, unneeded films coming our way this Summer so On Stranger Tides probably won't be the worst but it could have been so much more with a better developed storyline and something different.

'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' Trailer 2 HD


Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Wow I really never expected much from this movie and I knew somehow that everybody would give it max 3 stars. Johnny Depp I bet is always funny and great. And I always like Rush's character from POTC. What other movies have you seen from Penelope Cruz? Anyway I do agree with u that maybe this film was unnecessary but what the hell. At least its entertaining sorta... Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...