Thursday 17 February 2011

The Fighter (2011)






Running Time: 116 Minutes
Directed By:
David O Russell
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Amy Adams, Christian Bale, Melissa Leo 
Screenplay: Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson
UK Release Date: 2nd February 2011

Quick Plot: The true story of Micky Ward, a fighter who became a boxing champion in 1980s. Coping with a crack addict brother, overwhelming mother and 9 lazy sisters, Micky has to make a decision about how to get to where he wants to be- the top.

Review: I've come to realise why so far all the films I've reviewed have either 4 or 5 stars. They're all nominated for at least one Oscar if not more (Apart from Never Let Me Go but that was just amazing). So I'm not even going to try and cover up the fact that this film is special. Fighting films aren't something I have a particular interest in but I have seen a fair few. My favourite of which being Raging Bull, but now The Fighter could possibly be my new favourite fighting film. I only realised the incredible story of Micky Ward was based on a true story when it appeared on the screen.
I don't want this review to be long, but I've just got to mention what I loved about this film and that is quite simply Christian Bale and Amy Adams. I've always liked Christian Bale, even when he threw a tantrum on the set of Terminator Salvation- I've always liked him from a young age. I think his ways of acting are tremendous and the amount of time he spends on developing his characters always show. It's obvious he had to loose a lot of weight for this role but to Bale this is not a new regime. Some scenes were heartbreaking, but not in the usual way of automatically making you feel sorry and sad for the characters. You wanted him to get better and you wanted Micky to win the fights because you felt like you knew an awful lot about his family. Dicky (Bale) is your typical crack head (not that I know many crack heads), but everything about him was the perfect performance and he does certainly have a good chance of winning the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.
I like Adams a lot, (especially in Enchanted but we won't go into that) I will have to research it in a minute, but I think she might have had to bulk up a bit for this role. Anyway, I've never seen her play a role like Charlene and I would like it very much if she wins Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars next Sunday too. (But next to Helena Bonham Carter we can't be that sure now can we?)
Would it be totally inappropriate to comment on how extremely gorgeous and attracted I was to Mark Walhberg as Micky Ward? Yes? Ok then, I won't mention it. But Walhberg is fantastic as Micky and even though not nominated for any awards, still does a terrific job.

I've already gone on longer than I hoped but I found
The Fighter brilliant and so enjoyable, but if you dislike blood and don't like Fighting films, you won't enjoy this. Though some could say it's more than your typical Fighting film, it still has the bases of one, so if you simply don't like the look from the trailer you would not enjoy this film.


The real Dicky (left) and Micky.
















The Fighter 60 second trailer.



Now I'm feeling extremely happy with the fact I've seen 7 of the 10 Best Picture films for this years Academy Awards and will hopefully see one of the last three in the half term (if not all!)
I don't know why I'm mentioning that but I am.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...